Friday, March 28, 2008

Austin's birth story

I got pregnant with Austin when Ethan was 6 months old. We were so in love with our baby boy, we wanted another one. I can't say it was 100% planned or 100% an accident, it was just 100% a blessing.

The pregnancy was rough for me. I had just been pregnant and was still nursing Ethan. Several doctors recommended I stopped nursing, so I eventually weaned Ethan. I was very sad about this, but wanted the utmost nutrition for my unborn baby. Don't ever listen to anyone who tells you it is impossible to get pregnant while nursing! I had many annoying pregnancy issues with Austin: My sciatic nerve hurt from the moment I found out I was pregnant, restless leg syndrome, a rib that made it impossible to sleep on my left side, horrible heartburn and all this while toting around my 1 year old and taking care of another little boy. It was hard and I doubted I would ever want to get pregnant again. God sure has a way of helping us mommies forget what we have been through!

At 36 weeks, I was already 3 centimeters dilated and 50% effaced. Once again, I thought every day was the day. Since Ethan weighed over 9 pounds, we decided to induce labor 9 days before my due date.

We arrived at the hospital at 7 am and Kristen once again had everything ready for us. I was 3 1/2 centimeters and 70% effaced. I immediately got my pitocin and had the epidural at 7:45. I hung out with family and friends in the delivery room until it was time to push. My sister, mom, mother-in-law and Becky were in the room on the same bench seat waiting with me.

At 10 centimeters I started to push. After the first set of pushes, they told me to wait. Apparently the pushing was really working, so they wanted to call the doctor to come catch him. Within 15 minutes of waiting and 3 more sets of pushes he was out. It was the best experience. I had no pain and got to really enjoy the birth. I actually said to Eric that it was so easy I would have one more baby for him as I was pushing Austin out.

My little sweetie was born at 12:34pm on April 21st. He weighed 8 lbs 4 oz. When I first saw him, I thought he was so little. We had to explain to the nurses that he was small compared to our older son who weighed exactly one pound more than him.

I immediately fell in love with Austin too. Giving birth is such an amazing experience and I thank God every day for my little miracles.


2 comments:

Shannan Riemer said...

look at that cutie pie!

Mindy said...

Seems like only yesterday!! What a beautiful family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails