Friday, August 12, 2011

The Farmer's Wife



I was so excited when Erica got me the book The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt for my birthday.  The book explains what happened in 1922 when The Farmer's Wife magazine posed this question to their readers: "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?" The magazine at that time had 750,000 subscribers, and received over 7,000 letters. The best answers to the question were included in the book, along with the traditional quilt blocks they inspired.  There are 111 different six inch quilt block patterns included that will make a gorgeous sampler quilt.

I had read about a Farmer's Wife quilt-a-long in blogland here and thought it would be really fun to make a sampler quilt with modern fabrics.  After being inspired by these gorgeous blocks, I knew it was the perfect use for my treasured Summer in the City and 1974 fabric. 




So far we have made 4 different blocks, but I couldn't resist making a couple duplicates just for fun.  I am so excited about making a quilt just for me out of my favorite fabrics!  This quilt-a-long is a great opportunity for Erica, Carrey and me to try some new quilting techniques too.  Hopefully we will learn a lot and have fun doing it!  These little squares are addicting!  Anyone else want to join us?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails