Thursday, April 17, 2008

the gristmill

It all started in Gruene, Texas on a hot day in August. I had worked at the Gristmill for a year when I walked in the kitchen and saw him. I was instantly attracted to his sweet eyes and mischievous smile. He was in training that day so I had the trainer introduce all of them to a group of us. He had just moved to SWT from Texas Tech and was new in town. I knew he was someone I wanted to get to know. It didn't take long before we were a couple and the rest is history.

I worked at the Gristmill for two years and Eric stayed one more year after I graduated and moved to Austin. Through the years, we know so many couples that met there and are married now. I met one of my best friends Sammy there 11 years ago.



Summers at the Gristmill were hell. The restaurant seats 1000 people and in the summer there is always a wait. There is only one spot that has air condition - the women's bathroom by the river grove. That's right, people wait for hours to eat outside at a place with no air. We got so hot we would go in the freezer to cool down and would wear dorky neck wraps that were frozen. It wasn't just the heat, it was the stairs and heavy trays. To get to the beautiful river deck, you have to go down a flight of stairs. You know how much waiters have to run back and forth from their tables to the kitchen, so it was up and down constantly. No wonder I was so tan and skinny. Maybe I should go back to work there! :)


The Gristmill has the best food. My new favorite is the beef tenderloin sandwich with avocado. It is heavenly. The fries are soggy and flat, but so good dipped in ranch. The catfish, steaks and chicken fried chicken are awesome too. The spinach dip is to die for and the margaritas are fresh squeezed. Can you tell it's one of my favorite places to eat? I could go on and on, but I'll just get hungry.


The Gristmill use to be an old three story brick boiler room of the water-powered cotton gin from the early 1900s. Three stories sounds cool unless you are the waitress carrying a heavy tray up three flights of skinny stairs.



It was very cool to go back there with my family. I walked down the same walkway with my boys that I used to rush down to get to work on time. Live music was always playing at Gruene Hall and I always wanted to grow up and be able to really enjoy the wonderful place where I worked. I loved going there with my family and it will always be a very special place to me!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a great post!
It is so cool to go back to a special place with your family.

erica said...

It's funny. Because I grew up nearby, my memories of Gruene are very different from yours. And, I must admit, yours are much better than mine : )

Mindy said...

Yeah, we grew up right there and I'd never been to the Gristmill until a few years ago! Who knew?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails